Album Review: Chance The Rapper’s Coloring Book

Story by Nathaniel Hopwood, Copy Editor

The summer of 2016 has been host to some of the greatest events in the 21st century such as The Rio Olympics. However, the release of Chance the Rapper’s latest mix-tape was just as highly anticipated by Boca High students. Up and coming hip hop artist, Chance the Rapper has been setting fire to students’ playlists on Spotify, Sound-cloud, and even the exclusives charts on iTunes. He has quickly become one of music industry’s rising stars. Still not signed to any major label, he fluctuates the ideas and common concepts of hip hop. Formulating music under the name Chance the Rapper,  Chancelor Bennett dropped his third mix-tape Coloring Book on May 13, 2016. Through his songs, he has been able to shed some light on the true meaning behind being an independent artist. Like many artists, Bennett feels he has a message he wants to share with the world, and does so throughout his latest album.

Not only does the long awaited project showcase a side of the rapper no one has seen before, but Bennett’s mix-tape has also made Billboard history. Coloring Book made the top 200 chart on streaming alone and near its release date, Bennett’s mix-tape accumulated 57 million streams. Aside from shattering records, the mix-tape serves as a representation of Chance the Rapper as a father, a husband, and an independent hip hop artist. In comparison to his two previously released mix-tapes, 10 day and Acid Rap, his newest mix-tape establishes a sound of gospel rap mixed with nostalgia that people across all ages can relate to.

From music outlets such as Spotify and iTunes to Datpiff and Sound-cloud, Coloring Book has been regarded as one of his best works yet.

“One of the strongest rap albums released this year, an uplifting mix of spiritual and grounded that even an atheist can catch the Spirit to,” said Kris Ex, a contributor for Pitchfork magazine.

According to Rolling Stone critic, Christopher Weingarten, Chance embodies “everything we love about hip-hop in 2016.”  His influences are clear as he utilizes thought provoking verses like Kendrick Lamar and even experimental backing tracks reminiscent of Kanye West’s sound. Chance the Rapper somehow accomplishes a unique take on rap while paying homage to some of hip hop’s greatest. Having started as a breakout artist, Bennett has worked his way up the charts and proven he is here to stay.

[email protected]