Every Student has a Story

Maria Herrera in weightlifting class

Story by Hannah Oakland, Staff Writer

Maria Rodriguez Herrera, a senior at Boca High, has a true passion for fitness and teaching others the benefits behind it. Her love for fitness can be seen in her commitment to weight training here at Boca High. She spends her sixth period with her favorite teacher, Coach Toe, in weight training class.

“Coach Toe is my favorite because he is always helping to bring out the best in me, even on the hard days. He’s like a second dad to me,” said Maria.

Herrera doesn’t just keep her weight training passion to herself. Outside of school, she spends her time teaching a fitness class every Wednesday & Friday at Boca Nutrition and Wellness.  Her goal is to promote fitness and health to everyone she meets. She wants everyone to have the ability to find their passion and express it no matter what their circumstances are.

Herrera was born in Mexico and moved to Florida twelve years ago, with her four sisters. Being the middle child, Herrera has tried very hard to maintain good grades in school since, she wants to have the freedom to do whatever she wants with her life through a good education. Herrera currently plans to go into criminal justice after high school. She wants to be able to make the world she lives in a safer and more peaceful place.

While not participating in NJROTC, weight training, and teaching, Herrera enjoys going to the movies to watch horror films. She loves sitting down with a good book at home, and having the freedom to do whatever activities that catch her eye.

Herrera carries herself a motivation to succeed. She works incredibly hard to become the best person she can be.  If Herrera could describe herself in one word, she would be “optimistic.” With her vision and high hopes for the future, Herrera is sure to carry success and spread her optimism wherever she goes.

[email protected]