Are LTMs Wasteful Days?

A+student+rushes+to+open+her+locker+before+the+first+bell+rings.+
A student rushes to open her locker before the first bell rings.

Story by Hannah Mason, Staff Writer

A few more hours of sleep may seem like heaven, but when given limited time in each class it outweighs the positive. LTMs are a bother to the student body and teachers as students are rushed throughout the day to make it to each class, that is only about thirty minutes each. Some teachers give tests while others begin to teach a completely new topic expecting the students understand the material in a short amount of time.

There is also little to no time between classes to go to your locker.  As a result, students are forced to keep all their school supplies in their bags, which weighs more when they go up and down the stairs. It is also inconvenient when trying to find certain materials not to mention a hassle when lugging around all their school resources.  For students that have lockers on the bottom, they have to wait a long time to get to their locker and are forced to sit down opposite to the lockers.

As if that weren’t enough, LTMs eliminate the middle denominator, lunch, from the day. Students find themselves crunched for time to eat their lunch during the shortened schedule in comparison to the thirty minutes they are provided on a regular day. Therefore, students get hungry and have to eat snacks throughout the day in their class but only if their teacher allows it. This can be very distracting to others as people might get annoyed with the sound and crunching of the chip bags.

Teachers are also at an unfair disadvantage.  In fact, they are forced to teach a lesson in a short amount of time. Their well thought out lesson is jam-packed into one shortened period. They also take time out of the lesson to deal with  students that may not be listening or fooling around. If the assignment isn’t finished in class, students are told to finish it at home along with an additional pile of homework.

Instead of coming later, students should be allowed to come at the same time, but with more time to spare for lunch. This would give a reasonable of time to get to their lockers at least once during the day. Teachers can also have their meeting later in the day.

Although LTMs seem wasteful, there are some advantages to coming in later as students can catch up on sleep and homework. If students get more time to sleep, they will be more focused and won’t fall behind on work. It allows them to have more time in the morning to get ready and finish homework that wasn’t completed the night before. It can also give more time to study for a quiz or test. Teachers can offer extra help and makeup assessments in the morning at a reasonable time after their meeting. Thus, LTMs are worth coming to because they can give students the sleep that they couldn’t acquire on a normal day.

hmason.pawprint@gmail.com