Expectations vs. Reality: High school in movies and Boca High

Photo by Hannah Mason

Photo by Hannah Mason

Story by Hannah Mason, Staff Writer

Once freshman year rolls around, students are often conflicted with what to expect on their first day. Their judgment can sometimes only come from the movies watched, relating to high school aged students.

One of the most commonly watched high school movies is Mean Girls. It accentuates the common stereotypes put in high school. It even starts with Cady’s, the protagonist, first day at the new school, where she stands from the social scene. The main characters are considered to be in the “popular group”, showing behind the scenes how they think and speak about others behind their back. This could commonly be misconstrued to be put in a negative light.

While other movies, such as, High School Musical, shows high school in a more positive cheery way, it’s not realistic to have students singing throughout the day. Singing is definitely you do not see every day at Boca High. Thus, our school is not centered around the arts and has all different clubs and classes that students belong to.

In the movie, A Cinderella Story, a girl suffers from exclusion within the popular group. She gets tormented throughout her high school years. This shows a more realistic side to the movie; however, the fact that the school doesn’t act upon the bullying that is demonstrated throughout the movie loses credibility. Boca High is known to be cracking down with bullying and the school doesn’t tolerate it, possibly resulting in detention or suspension.

Above all, the most confusing aspects of a high school movie is that they never have homework to do. The students and main characters are never seen doing homework or tests and when they are, it’s only one or two scenes. Instead, they are shown at parties on the weekends and not showing the ugly truth of the commitment school entails, which includes late night studying, procrastinating, break downs from stress, and the constant flow of projects and tests.

Hollywood hides many of the lows of high school. It shows school in a more positive light, touching on serious topics with a lighter tone. One of the most overrated parts of high school movies are the friendships. Most if not all are based off superficiality and typically don’t show any depth. When a pair of friends gets into a fight, the next scene they can be shown hugging and making up, it’s not truthful to real life. The friendships made in high school are either temporary or there for a reason. Many of the movies end with the characters being buddies again when in reality the pair could be toxic to each other and better off going their separate paths.

Although Hollywood hasn’t quite nailed high school in the movies, they are still enjoyable to watch. They’re entertaining while also filled with some great lessons to learn later in life. Sometimes it’s better to escape reality and enjoy the fantasy of happily ever after right on your TV screen.

hmason.pawprint@gmail.com