Third annual Yoga Wave

Story by Kenneth Cross, Staff Writer

This year more than 1,500 students attended the yoga wave on February 25th. This was the third year that Boca High put on a yoga wave. One hundred of the yoga students were there as ushers and guides for incoming classes as they came to the Bobcat stadium. This year’s yoga wave was seventy minutes and had many different yoga poses.

After some technical difficulties, the wave got started about ten to fifteen minutes late. The temperatures on the field reached 82℉. Students didn’t seem to mind as they enjoyed the activities. Two students stood on an elevated platform to demonstrate the poses. They followed the instructions and led the entire event.
Sarah Kulmann, a junior Bobcat yogi said, “The yoga wave is an event we do every year. We have 1,500 students from all different grade levels coming out and participating in one big hour of yoga. Everyone is having fun just relaxing. It is a nice break before testing.”

While many people were excited to participate in some morning yoga, a few of the students on the field weren’t as enthusiastic about yoga. Nearly half the field had stopped participating after the first fifteen minutes. This was a big yoga wave, with many teachers bringing their classes out to the field. The freshmen got to experience this Bobcat tradition for the first time.

At lunch, a few different caterers and companies came to promote good eating and a healthy lifestyle. Many of the companies that signed up came, however there were a few that didn’t make it to the event.

Billabong, a trendy store for beachwear, came and sold sunglasses. They also donated a few pairs which were up for a raffle. Many students went to this tent to find out about Billabong’s newest items.

Alyssa Leaich, a sophomore with NJROTC, said, “ROTC comes out for a relaxing work out; it is a nice change of pace from what we usually do and it was so nice out.”

Overall the yoga wave was an exciting time for many Bobcats and put everyone in a good, relaxed mood as the morning came to a close.

Students who didn’t want to participate in the activities could sit on the sidelines and enjoy the fresh air without the pressure to participate, which was a nice alternative for those who weren’t feeling good, or simply didn’t want to participate.

[email protected]