How to conquer Sunfest with Coachella-style trends

Sophomores, Maren Pavicic and Kelly Biasotti, enjoy the first day of Sunfest.

Story by Valeria Munoz, Copy Editor

With Coachella and Sunfest only two weeks apart, there is bound to be a repetition of trends among the attendees of the music festivals. Reminiscent of Woodstock, there are plenty of 70’s vibes as people dust off their fringe vests, vintage band t-shirts, and wide-brimmed hats to wear to see their favorite bands and musical artists.

Austin Butler and Vanessa Hudgens have held the title of king and queen of Coachella for their fantastic fashion choices. Hudgens set the staple of music festival ensembles as she wore a matching white shirt and short combination topped with a flower crown. She made the bohemian look accessible to fans by coordinating simple pieces for a simply fantastic outfit of the day. She paired crochet tops with high waisted shorts, and patterned rompers with amazing head jewelry. Butler followed his girlfriends’ footsteps by wearing bold patterned pants with a basic white long sleeve shirt and a tan hat. From muscle tees and flannels tied around his waist to button down jean shirts, Butler achieved a put together casual look without much effort.

As for Sunfest, the suggested pieces for guys are ripped jeans with flannels tied around the waist paired with a muscle tee, just like Austin Butler at Coachella. Another good option is a classic jean shirt button down and khaki pants. Must have accessories include Aviator sunglasses, as Sunfest is known for its intense rays, and bandannas worn around the neck, if a guy opts for a more hipster look. Floral button downs have become popular over white t-shirts as evidenced by Twilight actor Kellan Lutz’ and Thirty Seconds of Mars band member Jared Leto’s street styles for Coachella.

Although girls are still parading the festival grounds with their flower crowns on, this year’s most important accessory for girls is in their hair; precisely, their hair color. Kylie Jenner took Coachella by storm with her different hairstyles throughout the two weekends. She started off with her signature blue locks, changed them to a vibrant orange, and later switched up the game with pastel rainbow braids. If girls want to achieve bright hair like Jenner without the commitment of dying their hair, hair chalk is a viable solution and is widely popular since it is washable and perfect for the indecisive souls. However, Bella Thorne reminded the public that wigs, although not as realistic, remain an option.

High waisted shorts and boxy crop tops are still all the rage, but if a girl wants to stand out from the crowd, ironically matching combinations are the way to go. Madison Pettis along with style bloggers Meredith Foster and Eva Gutowski have adopted this style for Coachella and there is no doubt that this trend will make a comeback at Sunfest. The lineup this year is very promising with artists spanning a variety of genres such as reggae, rap, pop, and Grammy Award winners.

“I think it has a very carefree vibe because it’s very vintage. There are lots of fringe and style chic at its finest,” junior Natalia Orozco said. As for which performers she’s most excited to see at Sunfest, “Bastille for sure!”

[email protected]