2018 Grammy’s highlights

Bruno+Mars+accepting+one+of+his+many+Grammy%27s+for+%22That%27s+What+I+Like.%22+
Bruno Mars accepting one of his many Grammy's for

Bruno Mars accepting one of his many Grammy's for "That's What I Like."

Photo by Matt Sayles/Invision/AP

Photo by Matt Sayles/Invision/AP

Story by Jennifer Balbier, Entertainment Editor

On January 28, 2018, the always edgy, glamorous, and sometimes wild (who can forget Miley Cyrus featuring a foam finger 2013) Grammys award show was held at Madison Square Garden for its sixtieth anniversary. It was hosted by UK’s (and now America’s) sweetheart James Corden. The night was filled with plenty of “who are you wearing?” “I’d like to thank the fans,” and the always controversial, “Trump.” Here are the highlights, however, if you want to stop reading here just know that Bruno Mars was basically the it-boy of the night.

Kendrick Lamar opened the show with a political performance paying homage to the Black Lives Matter movement. People on Twitter were either raving or raging, but it really was a powerful performance. He performed songs from his album Damn which won Best Rap Album of The Year. Starting with “XXX” he rapped in front of an American flag display and with soldiers marching in place. Kendrick then performed “DNA.” Following his act, Dave Chappelle delivered a line: “The only thing more frightening than watching a black man be honest in America is being an honest black man in America.” Kendrick came back on stage where he did verses from “New Freezer” and “King’s Dead.”

Lady Gaga performed in memory of her aunt. This truly was a tear jerking moment as you could hear a pin drop in the theater (and in my living room) when she opened with “Joanne.” She looked gorgeous in a white dress with angel wings draped over her piano. She then went into her hit song “Million Reasons.” It was hard to believe this was the same woman who came in a meat dress a few years ago.

Alessia Cara won Best New Artist. This was very well deserved considering she had many catchy and uplifting songs such as “Scars to your Beautiful” and her collaboration with Logic on “1-800-273-8255.” In her acceptance speech she reminded people to look beyond mainstream music and support struggling artists because their work is some of the best.

Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee performed “Despacito.” This was a fun, high energy performance filled with latin flair, but many people were wondering “where’s the Biebs?” Well believe it or not Justin Bieber was only on the remix. This performance gave the song the recognition it deserved considering it has become the most popular Spanish song ever in mainstream music.

Pink performed her beautiful song “Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken.” Pink is an icon and has been inspiring us to be rockstars since 2003, but this performance showed us a Pink we have never seen before. It was simple and elegant as she stood on stage alongside with an American Sign Language interpreter in a white t-shirt and jeans with only her emotions as her pyrotechnics.

Bruno Mars and Cardi B gave us major 90s vibes with “Finesse.” This song has been considered the first “bop” of 2018. It’s no surprise because it is performed by the most fun artists in the industry right now. Bright colors, patterns, and moonwalks the song and the performance was reminiscent of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air;  the only thing missing was everyone breaking out into the “Carlton.”

Rihanna was a queen as usual. She performed her sultry hit “Wild Thoughts,” you know the one that you had to turn down everytime your mom was in the car. It was sensual, entertaining, and glittery; it was Rihanna.

Some performances brought awareness to important topics. Kesha performed her song “Praying” which addressed the #TimesUp movement and her abuse in the industry. Also, Logic performed “1-800-273-8255” with Alessia Cara and Khalid. It gave the much needed message that for those struggling with suicidal thoughts that you are not alone and to seek help.

Bruno Mars was the big winner of the night. He won Song of the Year, Best R&B Song, and Best R&B performance for “That’s What I Like.” Even more impressive, he won Record of the Year, Best R&B Album, and Album of the Year for 24k Magic.  

This year’s Grammys had the most diverse nominees in Grammy history. It was the perfect mixture of fun and powerful, and will definitely go down as one of the most memorable ones.

jbalbier.pawprint@gmail.com     

About the Writer
Jennifer Balbier, Entertainment Editor
Jennifer is a senior at Boca High, and is very excited to be the Entertainment Editor and president of the Party Planning Committee for the Paw Print Staff! Her favorite things to write about are people and how to help them. Considering she is a Libra, her stories can be eccentric . Besides journalism, Jennifer is...