GLOW Up and Fight

Cast of GLOW poses for the show’s Netflix background

Story by Emily Pravel, Opinion Editor

The new original series on Netflix was released on June 23rd and it consisted of ten episodes for the first season. The series was based on a true story about a women’s wrestling program from when the show started in the 1980’s. Ruth, the main character, is featured throughout the series and so are her struggles as an actress. The episodes show how difficult it was to become a female wrestler for the actual show GLOW and how completely unprepared the women were.

GLOW started with a neon introduction of the main actors/actresses in the show with ‘80s music playing in the background. G.L.O.W. stands for Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling. Sam Sylvia, the director in the show, was casting auditions for struggling female actresses for the new wrestling TV show only for women. Sam brought in a man to help the women to practice their stunts and to help him decide which women to dismiss from the auditions or keep for the show.

Ruth, Allison Brie, is featured as one of the struggling actresses that must fight to be one of the wrestlers on the show. She becomes friends with Andre the Giant’s (Andre the Giant was the tallest wrestler on the WWF and often fought against Hulk Hogan) daughter and gets kicked out of the casting, only to show up to rehearsal dressed in a ridiculous outfit. Ruth believes that she can win her spot back on the casting list if she dresses up and does exactly what Hulk Hogan’s character dresses up as during his career in the WWF, Worldwide Wrestling Federation. Ultimately, Ruth had to wrestle with her best friend, Debbie, to receive a spot on the cast list.

Debbie, Betty Gilpin, is Ruth’s best friend from high school and another actress. However, Debbie was one of the main characters on Paradise Cove (a fake TV show used as a backstory for Debbie) and was involved in a romantic relationship with the director, Mark Eagen. He got her pregnant and coaxed her to leave the show to raise their son. His promise was that she’d never have to worry about money again because he would take care of her and the baby. Debbie’s new career would be a stay at home mom, but she was offered the opportunity to be on GLOW and, despite Mark’s objections, would also be one of the main attractions.

GLOW was full of cringe-worthy moments. GLOW was filmed to show what happened during the auditions before it aired, what’s next the behind the scenes feature on WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment, or WWF, World Wrestling Federation? When I wasn’t trying to hide my face from their cringe or the horrendous acting, there were some parts that actually made me laugh. When Sheila, Gayle Rankin, took down an opponent, she’d pretend to eat her like a wolf and howl while using her hands make wolf ears.

This show represented ‘80s era style of clothing and thoughts on women well. It shows how hard it was to be a woman and an actress in the ‘80s really well because women were only seen as objects. If you’re a fan of female wrestling or need something to pick you up after a bad day, GLOW is the show for you.

epravel.pawprint@gmail.com

About the Writer
Emily Pravel, Opinion Editor
Emily is a senior at Boca Raton Community High School this year, given the position as Opinion Editor at The Paw Print. This is her second year on the Paw Print and she’s ecstatic with her new position. Her love of writing has blossomed into something more and her hunger of knowledge jump starts her...