Alternative Upcoming Bands

Story by Katie Lennon, Staff Writer

Many artists and bands are rising through the charts this fall. Coming from all over the country, artists of independent labels are making their mark in the music industry. Some of the most unique and talented musicians can be found in these underground bands. Many indie bands come from humble beginnings and small fanbases. One of these is Acid Dad.

Acid Dad is an alternative band from Brooklyn, New York and consists of four boys: Kevin Walker, the drummer; Vaughn Hunt, the guitarist; JP and Sean, bass players. Acid Dad has released one album consisting of eleven songs as well as many singles and Extended Players (EPs). EPs are usually shorter than an album and serve the purpose to inform the audience of the bands talent. Acid Dad was created after the three original members went to a drag show in Brooklyn. Since then, one of the original members is no longer in the band, and two more members have been added. Bands such as Three 6 Mafia, Project Pat, and Scarecrow, inspire Acid Dad and the members love to listen to them together. One of their first EPs was even named after a Three 6 Mafia song. Most of the members have been playing music since they were very young but never really knew they wanted to be a band until they met each other. Acid dad is playing a show with another upcoming band named Navy Gangs in New York on October 25th, 2018.

The band Navy Gangs is an Omaha, Nebraska born Brooklyn based guitar band. The band is made up of Matt Tillwick, Noah Kohll, Eric Carney, and Wilson Ford Keithline. Matt plays the guitar and is the vocalist, Noah is the guitarist, Wilson plays the bass, and Eric plays the drums. Their album Poach debuted on August 3, 2018, and on August 4th they performed at the Coney Island Music Festival right after touring. In an interview, the band said they were very excited about their album coming out because they have been playing the songs for quite a while, so they were happy to see them all together in one place. Navy Gangs also says that they want to experiment with more pop-style writing, similar to Prince’s top hits songs.

The Shacks are an indie band that has written songs such as “Follow Me” and “Left It With The Moon.” Shannon Wise, the vocalist and bassist starred in an Apple commercial where their cover of “This Strange Effect” was played in the background. Wise sings in a soft whisper to create a dream-like effect on songs that would be categorized as early rock. The four members met in high school and immediately started playing music once they became friends. The guitarist and producer Max Shrager met Shannon Wise, the lead singer, in a jazz band. They started hanging out and making music and from there, the two other They all share the love for older music such as music from the 50s and 60s. Their album, Haze, came out in March of 2018. The Shacks said that once they decided to make a record, it took a while to compile. Since they had been making music since high school, they had written a lot of demos over the years so they took a lot of these songs and put them on the final record after a bit of remastering.  

The rock band QTY that resides in New York has released one full-length album consisting of the songs “Rodeo” and “Dress/Undress.” This self-titled album was released in December of 2017 and received favorable reviews in many magazines including NME, which compares the band’s style to that of The Strokes and Television. Although they have been compared to many bands, they define their sound as, “guitar driven, lyrical, rock music with pop sensibilities.” The members Dan Lardner, Alex Niemetz, Peter Baumann, and Alan Yuch created QTY in 2014 and were the first American band to sign with the British label Dirty Hit Records. The members said their name was inspired by a few different things, one being The Clementines.

New and upcoming artists are essential to the music industry and can be a way to find new and different styles o f music. These bands have been working very hard to try to make a name for themselves and they are definitely worth listening to.

klennon.pawprint@gmail.com

About the Writer
Katie Lennon, Staff Writer

Katie Lennon is a Sophomore at Boca Raton Community High School. This is her first year on The Paw Print. When Katie isn't writing, she loves to scuba...