2016: A year in review

A few things that occurred in 2016

A few things that occurred in 2016

A few things that occurred in 2016

Story by Emily Pravel, Copy Editor

This past year has ended with strife throughout the nation due to the results of the presidential election. The negative actions directed towards police officers, who are working to protect citizens that criticize them, even though their actions towards some calls for concern. Our favorite actors/actresses died, sports fans celebrated their team winning, and our government has made important decisions that will decide our future.

Deaths: In this recent year, we’ve lost plenty of good actors/actresses, athletes, and singers. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Scalia and Former First Lady Nancy Reagan will be missed. We’ve all lost beloved pop icon, Prince, and newsman Morley Safer. Sport legends Muhammad Ali, Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howie, and Coach Pat Summit were all declared deceased. The creator of Happy Days, Garry Marshall, went to the jukebox in the sky. Well known, ESPN host, John Saunders and Gene Wilder died. Playwright Edward Albee, Charmian Carr from Sound of Music, Arnold Palmer (Golf legend), and José Fernandez (Miami Marlins) passed away. The first woman US Attorney General Janet Reno, woman news anchor Gwen Ifill, and actress Florence Henderson died. David Bowie published Lazarus days before his death.

Sports: The Denver Broncos defeated the Carolina Panthers 24-10, in Super Bowl 50. Also, Villanova defeated North Carolina for the NCAA men’s basketball championship. The women’s UConn Huskies beat Syracuse for the NCAA women’s basketball championship and the Warriors set the NBA win record (73 wins in the regular season). The Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup and the Cavaliers won the NBA championship. Jimmy Walker won the PGA championship defeating Jason Day. During the Summer Olympics, Michael Phelps won his 28th gold medal and Katie Ledecky continued to beat records by setting her own. The inevitable occurred when the Cubs won the World Series, ending their curse, against the Cleveland Indians.

Presidential race: Hillary Clinton emerged as the frontrunner for the Democratic Party after Super Tuesday, and Trump’s campaign manager was charged with battery after he got into an altercation with a female reporter. Donald Trump was presumed the Republican nominee and Hillary was assumed to be the Democratic nominee. Hillary wasn’t charged for her emails and Trump picked Pence as his Vice President. Hillary chose Tim Kaine to be her Vice President, if she was elected. The media managed to find incriminating videos of Donald Trump a month before the election and he went to court to fight the lawsuit against Trump University. He won the presidential election despite losing the popular vote by 2.9 million.

News: The water in Flint, Michigan was declared unable to drink due to the amount of lead found in it, which became an issue after the residents in Flint switched the lake where they get their water. The FBI was in a legal battle with Apple discussing whether or not Apple would give them the password that would unlock the San Bernardino’s locked iPhone. They ended up unlocking it on March 28th, without Apple’s help. Mississippi governor signed the Religious Freedom Bill into law, which declared that the state of Mississippi won’t punish those that refuse to provide service to anyone because of their religious opposition. Fourteen year old, Taylor Rosenthal, turned down $30 million to watch his vending machine filled with first-aid kits prosper. Ohio Mayor Tom Scarnecchia is giving up half his annual salary to help the state leave its fiscal emergency. Harriet Tubman is replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill, and women’s suffrage movement figures are being added on the back of the $10, and Martin Luther King Jr. will replace Lincoln on the back of the $5, taking effect in 2020. Finally, 200 strangers attended the funeral of a WWII veteran without a family.

Congress/Supreme Court: The leaders in the Senate vowed to deny each nomination for Supreme Court given by Obama, since it’s his last term and Obama nominated Merrick Garland for the position in Supreme Court. The Promesa Act was passed by the Supreme Court, allowing the Financial Oversight and Management Board to take care of the financial problems in Puerto Rico. The United States and Israel reached an agreement for the United States to give Israel $38 billion for their military aid. The FBI arrested a worker at the National Security Agency, Harold Thomas Martin III, for stealing classified information.

Hopefully 2017 will be better than the last. As Obama is stepping down from office and Trump becoming the new Commander in Chief, a new leaf is turned as the year begins with a new outcome.

epravel.pawprint@gmail.com

About the Writer
Emily Pravel, Opinion Editor
Emily is a senior at Boca Raton Community High School this year, given the position as Opinion Editor at The Paw Print. This is her second year on the Paw Print and she’s ecstatic with her new position. Her love of writing has blossomed into something more and her hunger of knowledge jump starts her...