97% Won’t Spot the Difference, It’s Called Clickbait

A great example of clickbait in the form of fake news.

Story by Bredi Aranya, Staff Writer

A basketball legend and an inspiration to many people, Michael Jordan, once said, ”Stop it, get some help.” That’s exactly what should be said to YouTubers who use clickbait to get views. Clickbait is defined as a web content that is aimed to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social networks. But the problem is the people who watch these videos are expecting a different content.

Sebastien Meyer, a small YouTuber, explains this topic saying, ”When there is a clickbait thumbnail and a truthful title, I know what I’m watching. But when there is a clickbait title and thumbnail, the video can be anything the YouTuber wants. We want Call of Duty, they put unicorns; we want memes, they put songs. It’s just stupid at this point.” He continues by saying, “In a time when YouTube is ‘broken’ and people are losing views, clickbait is their choice of attraction. There is a fine line between clickbait and interesting video thumbnails, but at the end of the day, it’s up to the YouTuber.”

In today’s day and age, many YouTubers believe their only chance of getting views is by using clickbait. Clickbait leads to the loss of subscribers, but also it decreases the quality of the channel. Many clickbaiters’ videos are only watched between ten seconds to one minute of a twenty to sixty minute video. Some YouTubers take advantage of these events; for example, PewDiePie, talks about clickbait to earn money. Because he has over fifty million subscribers, he makes a proficient profit for each video. That is one reason he doesn’t upload daily, he doesn’t need to.  

Clickbait is not only seen on YouTube, but many online social networks, like Facebook and Instagram. Many people get viruses on their computers just by clicking a video that has an interesting thumbnail. The viruses then steal personal information from the user. This not only hurts the user, but also the credibility of the website. Clickbaiters are everywhere, they have simple ways to gain followers. They would reach out to a popular Instagrammer and ask to post a photo telling the followers to follow them, then the Instagrammer would follow the users who followed that person. What ends up happening is people follow the account, but nothing happens. After doing this many times over and over, the clickbaiter has more followers than expected.

Many clickbaiters also express false news to attract people to their videos, articles, anything that can be viewed in social media networks. These false news show disrespect to anyone who they are “attacking” by social media networks. Also, the news fool many people to spread the wrong information to the world. This may affect one person, it may affect one million people.

Ultimately, clickbait will never stop. There will always be people who want the easy way out. People want fame, and they think clickbait is on the road to success, but the only thing they are doing is cheating.

About the Writer
Bredi Aranya, Staff Writer
Bredi Aranya is a very involved junior at Boca High. He is the president of Kosher Food Club and Chess Club, he is in the Debate Team and an honored member of four National Honor Societies. Even though he grew up in Turkey, he finally adapted to the environment in the United States. He is...