An overview of all aboard Florida

Photo by Google

Story by Hannah Oakland, Staff Writer

A vacation to Walt Disney World or Universal Studios is a fun and memorable experience; however, we South Floridians despise the three hour car ride that comes with it. Taking i-95 or the Florida Turnpike is slow, unpredictable, and dangerous for not only vacationers, but also commuters. Now there is a new way to travel across the East coast of Florida, courtesy of the All Aboard Florida project and Brightline rail lines.
Sponsored by Brightline Rail, the track will intrude as little as possible when it has to cross over properties and protected natural areas. This new train will run parallel to State Road 528 and will have four stops in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Orlando. The tracks will connect with pre-existing terminals and tracks and will carry an express train that travels at just under 80 miles an hour.
The most southern station, Miami, will connect with the pre-existing track from the Miami-metro train. Its station will be located between NW 3rd Street and NW 8th Street, and will be about two acres in total. This location is convenient and near the Miami-Dade County Courthouse and the Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus.
The Ft. Lauderdale station is very convenient as it connects with the pre-existing Sun-trolley, the Broward County Transit system, the Wave Streetcar, and the Tri-Rail train line. This station is a short 30 minute rail ride to the West Palm Beach station, which will be located between Datura Street and Evernia Street. The station is planned to be 60,000 square feet and will be right next to City Place, The Kravis Center, and Florida Atlantic University.
The final station will be located next to the Orlando International Airport South Inter-model Center. It is only a three hour ride from Miami to Orlando and the station will be only minutes away from popular theme parks such as Walt Disney World.
The route between Miami and West Palm Beach is planned to be completed and operational in late 2017. The whole rail line is expected to be completed in the year 2021.
The excitement and anticipation over this new form of Floridian transportation is high. Not only will Brightline be better for the environment by reducing the pollutants caused by personal vehicles, but it will also be a much safer, cheaper, and more relaxing way to travel.
“This is good for people who commute,” says Andrew O’Donnell, a senior at Boca High. “It provides more work opportunities.”
With such convenient inter-city stations, commuters will have the ability to work farther away from home without the hassle and dangers of highway driving. The tickets are planned to be low cost and a fair competition to the normal gas bills for a two way commute via personal car.
All Aboard Florida is a project with very few negative impacts and will create a closer Florida, but will also provide for a more eco-friendly culture across the East Coast.
         [email protected]