Lollipop lipstick, the newest trend?

Two+models+during+New+York+Fashion+Week+pose+for+the+camera.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Lollipop lipstick, the newest trend?

Two models during New York Fashion Week pose for the camera.

Photo by Google Images

Photo by Google Images

Photo by Google Images

Story by Hannah Mason, Staff Writer

2017 has already seen many strange trends. One is the lollipop lipstick trend. This lipstick is applied the normal way; however, it showcases a completely different look than the matte and glossy lipstick. This lipstick is applied with a brush to stain around the outside of your lips and give the look of someone’s lips after eating a lollipop.

The outrageous trend has already started to become viral on the internet through Buzzfeed. M.A.C. Cosmetics debuted the lipstick at London Fashion Week. The wacky kind of chic the lipstick shows is exactly what this brand was going for. While it is one of those trends that was most likely a one time debut, people are most likely to follow it as it appeared on a fashion show and the makeup brand (M.A.C) is one that is well-known globally.
It’s the same depiction of the famous YouTube star Miranda Sings who happens to sport wearing lipstick that is on much larger than her actual lips. While this is just a comical way to show her fictional character, this lollipop lipstick trend is taken seriously in the makeup world.

Supporters of the trend think it shows a carefree way of life by not caring about social norms and what is considered acceptable for makeup. As makeup is usually precise and evened out, this trend goes against it by having imperfections. It’s goal is to make light of something that is seen to be lewd.

Ever since the lollipop lips have taken place, makeup tutorials on YouTube have been made to show how to get the stained look. It seems more beauty bloggers and beauty YouTubers will continue to upload videos on this trend for their subscribers and fans.
“The lollipop trend isn’t an everyday look; it’s more an artistic look for photos and things like that. High end labels usually use it because you got to make bold looks to stand out. In all, I really like it artistically,” Carlota Meza, a junior at Boca High, said.

The artistic state of mind of this lipstick is different than wearing it as any other makeup design. It is purely for the boldness of a fashion show or to photograph someone wearing it smudged. Models are meant to stand out when it comes to new fashion trends and bold makeup for the runway. It is just another creative way of capturing people’s attention to the model’s clothes and face, luring them to buy the items.

Overall, the trend’s main purpose is for a more eye-catching look when on the runway or when artistically taking pictures of someone. It is not like the ordinary ornate makeup trends that are usually sported on a normal basis.

About the Writer
Hannah Mason, Staff Writer

Hannah Mason is a junior at Boca High and is on The Paw Print. She took journalism last year as a sophomore and wanted to get more involved in the craft....