Clearing The Air On Feminists

Now you pissed off grandma!

Now you pissed off grandma!

Now you pissed off grandma!

Story by Dajia Morris, Staff Writer

It is time to clear the air about feminism. Being a feminist does not make you a man-hating person, or someone that believes that females deserve more power than men. It simply means you believe in equality for all. A feminist is a person who supports feminism, and the definition for feminism is “a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social equality of sexes”, according to Webster dictionary.

Women all around the world are starting to stand up for the real meaning of being a feminist. Feminists are getting irritated by the people who believe a feminist is a hormonal, lesbian, man hating, hairy animal that want all men gone. Believe it or not, feminists can be men, women, and even our favorite robot friend Alexa (trust me I’ve asked her.)

Feminists are trying to achieve certain goals, these goals don’t include eliminating the male population.  According to the Times Up website, white non-Hispanic women are paid 81 cents on the dollar compared to white non-Hispanic men. Asian women are paid 88 cents on the dollar. Black and Hispanic women are paid 65 cents and 59 cents, accordingly, on the white man’s dollar. Feminists also want boys and girls raised the same way. They want tampons and pads to not be taxed as a luxury items, because if men got their period it would be made an olympic sport.

“Woman have fought and have worked so hard for equality and freedom and I’m not gonna let an ignorant man come in and destroy what we have worked so hard for,” said Kelly Biasotti, senior.

Feminists are achieving these goals with movements like Times Up Now. They partner with leading advocates for equality, safety to improve laws, employment agreements, and corporate policies.

“No more silence. No more waiting. No more tolerance for discrimination, harassment or abuse,” says the websites slogan.

Children should not be taught boys will be boys. Why do boys stay out all night, while most teenage girls have curfew?  Because “bad things” happen at night.  Why can boys play outside and get dirty, but for girls it is frowned upon because they should be inside playing with dolls and learning how to cook with their easy bakes? Why are “girl toys” associated with cooking, cleaning, and baby dolls, while boys get fire trucks, cop cars, and guns? Lastly, why do girls have to make sure their shoulders or legs are covered at school, because when they’re out they can distract boys? This only teaches girls early on that men are dominant. Boys can do this and that, but girls must stay home, take care of their dollies, do their makeup, and make cupcakes.

Lastly, feminists are tired of women being taught how to avoid rape when we should be teaching boys that no means no. Instead of girls covering more skin to not “tempt” boys, they should simply just listen when a girl says no. According to the National Resource Center Of Domestic Violence (NRCDV), “in this era, pornography implicates sexual violence, it is so glorified and makes boys think that what happens in porn is ‘sex’, and that women like that.”  The NRCDV also states that pornograghy can be an important factor in shaping male-dominant view of sexuallity, be used to initiate victims, break down their resistance to unwanted sexual activity, and provide a training manual for abusers.

Women, feminists, and group movements will continue fighting for women’s rights. For the people who believe that feminist are just “nasty” women,  try looking up the real meaning of feminism.

About the Writer
Dajia Morris, Sports editor
Dajia Morris is a senior, and the new sports editor this year. Her hobbies include writing, softball and hanging with friends. She joined newspaper because she loves writing, wants to be more involved with the school, and meet new people.