Today’s Students Mental Health

Back to Article
Back to Article

Today’s Students Mental Health

Story by Jasmine Diaz, Staff Writer

Every year, the back to school experience takes its toll on students who may not be in the strongest mental state. The anxiety of making new friends kicks in, the heavy stress of complex school work is put back on their shoulders, and some students’ minds become completely scattered.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) has reported that “20% of youth ages 13-18 live with a mental health condition,” and that “suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death in youth ages 10 – 24.”

Over the past couple of years, there has been a tremendous emphasis on teaching students that the actions they make as young as thirteen can have long term repercussions in the future. With colleges being harder than ever to get accepted into, students will put everything into their academics and lose themselves in the process, yet still, risk the chance of not getting into the school of their dreams.

“It becomes stressful with the amount of homework that is given along with the rigorous courses that have to be taken so that we get into the colleges we would like to [attend],” said junior Isabelee Fonseca.

It can be argued that in the current day and age, students can feel as though school has become less about actually learning and more about the passing of the class and the end of year exams by whatever means possible.

The heavy workload and importance of community service along with extracurriculars often hold kids back from keeping a strong relationship with their friends and family throughout the four years of high school, and in many cases can lead to kids burning out before they even walk on stage to accept their diploma.

“We are expected (by our parents) to learn all day, do homework, go to work, and do sports or clubs on top of trying to be happy and relaxed,” said sophomore Miranda Millard-Bruzos. “We are taught to compete with our friends just to have a good future after high school. It’s so hard to balance everything that we become unhappy and feel exhausted, which damages our mental health.”

Due to the tragedy that took place in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Palm Beach County has added sixty mental health counselors across all schools. Here at Boca High, there are now six counselors who are assigned to students by their last name.

“I’m here to support students in any way they need for social or emotional support; they could come in and vent if they needed to, I’m here for anything they need at any time,” said guidance counselor Sarah Silversmith, who is assigned to students with last names that begin with C, D, J,and P. She can be found in room 2-109.

While for some students, school can be emotionally draining at times, for others it serves as a source of happiness. Being able to see friends daily, having school events to look forward to, and having work to engage them brings many students pleasure.

Students cope with school and what comes along with it differently. Our school strives to make resources as available as possible for all students and improvements are always being made.

If you or someone you care about is struggling mentally consider speaking to one of our counselors or utilizing one of the following digital resources:

Betterhelp.com, a website that is used to connect users to professional therapists online
1-800-273-8255, National Suicide Prevention Hotline
Nami.org, the National Alliance on Mental Illness can help people find further resources as well as information about their feelings and/or condition

jdiaz.pawprint@gmail.com