[SATIRE] Boca High to install Starbucks kiosk

Back to Article
Back to Article

Story by Bryanna Basilio, Staff Writer

Get ready Bobcats, Starbucks is set to arrive at Boca High. The Starbucks Corporation has announced an innovative idea of allowing high schools to install a Starbucks kiosk within the cafeteria.

In early September 2014, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz introduced “Coffee to the Youth,” a nationwide high school program developed by the Starbucks Corporation, which allows high schools to obtain a Starbucks kiosk for coffee drinking students.

“With the growing power of coffee and success of Starbucks, we have acknowledged half of our customers are students, not only college students but high school students. I hope this program makes it more accessible for high school students to grab their fix,” stated Schultz. Boca High is one of the 600 schools to establish the powerhouse kiosk.

Boca High submitted an application of interest for the unique program, and after executives of the Starbucks Corporation visited the school, the decision was made. The school was eligible for a Starbucks within the cafeteria, replacing “munch-a-bunch” for the booming coffee company.

“We’re all about making students happy,” stated principal Dr. McKee standing by his decision. “I think it will make them happy. We’re next looking to add a Chipotle outside the media center.”

The installation of the kiosk could also decrease tardiness, with students arriving before school starts instead of stopping at a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Not only will students’ punctuality increase, but half of the proceeds are assigned to the school’s fund for recreational high school events, including, but not limited to, Prom, Grad Night, Project Grad, and pep-rallies.

The kiosk operating hours are expected to be 6am-9:30am and 2:50-5:30pm. The Starbucks contractors are expected to build the kiosk this summer and it’s predicted to be open during lunch by August 2015.

bbasilio.pawprint@gmail.com