How to Make the Most of Our Breaks

Story by Victoria Fondeur, Staff Writer

Summer is over; and while some people had extravagant travel plans to Jamaica or Italy. Most stayed local or at most had short weekend getaways. Here are a few ideas to make the most out of our beloved breaks, without breaking the bank.

The great thing about winter break is the wonderful weather South Florida has to offer. There are a lot of free events like festivals, fairs, and outdoor concerts. Even when it gets a little colder outside, there are still a lot of things to do. When it’s cold outside which is a whopping 70 degrees here in Florida, spending $500 going to Disney’s Christmas Party is great, but nothing beats cuddling up on the couch with homemade cookies and hot chocolate watching holiday movies with your family and best friends.   

“I basically live at Island Water Sports, if I’m not surfing then I’m usually teaching Saturday surf lessons,” said sophomore Lola Dutremble. “The waves are especially good during winter break!”

Before you know it the weather is hot again and spending spring and summer break at the beach is just right. The weather is perfect for a bike ride, a picnic, or catching some waves. With the warm sunny weather that spring and summer bring, it also means lots of rainy days. Having to stay in because it’s pouring outside, makes a good time to work on homework or any projects you have over the break. It may not be fun, but it’s best to just get it over with. 

“I like going to the beach, usually with friends and eating out or going to the movies more often. Also, I like taking pictures around Boca,” said sophomore Brenda Nunes.

Summer break is the best time for getting community service hours. There are countless opportunities to volunteer at  local summer camps or churches, not only can this bring personal satisfaction, but it allows for gaining of knowledge of the community and having new experiences. A couple places to volunteer are Gumbo Limbo, The Boca Art Museum, and Camp Boca.

South Florida is a vacation spot and offers many different things to do. Any time of year any time of day just look around and see what it has to offer.   

vfondeur.pawprint@gmail.com