Athlete of the Week: Grace Marko

Story by Minami Guido, Staff Writer

She plays shooting guard and forward for Boca High’s varsity girls basketball team, and Grace Marko is only a sophomore. She has been playing basketball since she was six years old. While fifth grade was the first year she began playing on her school’s basketball team, Marko began playing on the Boca Hoops travel team since sixth grade.

Grace’s older brother Max Marko also plays basketball. He is a senior and plays for Boca High’s varsity boys basketball team. She enjoys a little sibling rivalry, and practices basketball techniques with her brother “all the time.” Her basketball talents seem to run in her family.

This school year Grace made it onto the varsity team for her second year. This season she hopes she and the team make it to States.

“We are having a really great season so far with a good group of girls. We’re expected to go far,” Marko says about the team this year.

“I’ve been working on my shot and ball handling,” Grace says, hoping to get better and perfect these skills to help bring the team to States.

Marko is near perfect though, considering she was awarded top five in the county last month for those basketball skills, something she is really proud of.

Although she says all the school games are rivals, the game against Spanish River was one of the toughest for Marko and the team. The lady bobcats played Spanish River at home and beat them 75 to 32.

Marko also hopes to someday play basketball in college, but isn’t too worried about it this early in high school.

Not only is Marko an accessional basketball player, her passion and group oriented attitude shine on the courts. Her love for the game and her teammates make for an all around awesome team player. mguido.pawprint@pawprint.gmail.com

About the Writer
Minami Guido, Managing Editor
Minami Guido is the managing editor for Boca High’s newspaper, The Paw Print. She was in Journalism freshman year, which inspired her to try out for the newspaper class. She likes to help out her community by working at a small business near her house, and participating in her school’s Key Club. Minami has interests in fashion, photography,...