Homecoming “trip down memory lane”

Homecoming “trip down memory lane”

Photo by ""

Story by Priya Mclean, Staff Writer

This year’s Homecoming Week theme was different than any in Boca High’s history. “A trip down memory lane” was an innovative theme that allowed Boca High students to reflect on their childhoods by virtually going back in time. Each day of the week represented a popular childhood movie, from Lilo and Stitch to High School Musical. Each day of spirit week, students were able to dress up as their favorite movie characters.

Most children wanted to be a superhero growing up, which made the first homecoming event a dream come true for Boca High students. Watching The Incredibles and dressing up as their favorite superhero allowed all who came to watch relive their childhood fantasies.

Many have had the dream of coming to school in their pajamas, and Tuesday gave everyone that chance. On Monsters Inc. day, everyone at school was allowed to wear pajamas. All clubs who signed up got to play a life-size Monsters Inc. board game, where each club acted like a game piece, tackling giant monsters, rolling huge die, and dodging lasers.

Lilo & Stitch day gave everyone a chance to show off their Hawaiian flare. Tacky tourist day was a favorite of students on last year’s homecoming week and it was a big hit again. Everyone put on their ugly Hawaiian shirts, knee high socks, Crocs, and sunscreen.

High School Musical was arguably one of the best Disney trilogies ever made. As a kid, everyone had their favorite Wildcat High School character, and on Thursday, all Boca High students had the chance to recreate one. From football jocks to uptight nerds there’s a stereotype for everyone. Later that day, there was the annual powderpuff game, in which gender roles are reversed as students get to watch their male classmates get their groove on and their female classmates get rough on the football field.

Friday had to be the most exciting part of homecoming week, other than the dance, of course. Friday was the day when all of the students wore their class colors and went to the pep rally. Freshmen wore yellow, sophomores wore blue, juniors wore white, and seniors wore black. The pep rally featured the dance team, step team, cheerleaders, and the school sports teams played relay games. As well as the pep rally Boca High hosted its very own color run with the homecoming spirit party and football following it.

The childhood nostalgia continued on Saturday with the Alice in Wonderland themed homecoming dance. Almost everyone wanted to go down the rabbit hole to hang out with the caterpillar and the Cheshire cat when they were little, making this a theme that most people enjoyed.

[email protected]