What does your music taste say about your personality?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Story by Melissa Topel, Centerspread Editor

Everyone has different taste in music. Research has found that taste in music is developed through one’s experiences and changes over time. The type of music people like can say a lot about them, and while not everyone fits to these molds, many people can relate to them.

If someone likes pop music, or the current top 100 songs, they are probably a go-with-the-flow kind of person. This person is comfortable following rather than leading, but they aren’t opposed to doing the latter. The pop music listener loves turning on the radio and listening to all the songs the rest of the world is currently loving. Pop fans are easy going, and this reflects in their taste in easy-to-listen-to music. Those who enjoy listening to pop music show a lack of creativeness compared to others; however, they are usually very outgoing, sociable, and confident. Those who play these chart-topping songs on replay have shown to be more likely to listen to music to regulate their mood.

On the other end of the spectrum, someone who likes alternative or indie music is very free-spirited, creative, and open-minded. This person likes to think outside of the box and usually doesn’t follow the pact. People who like alternative or indie music are usually in touch with their emotions, but may have lower self esteem than other listeners. Those who listen to this genre of music are more likely to use music as a means to exercise their minds and boost their creativity.

People who like country music are usually hard-working and extroverted, but can oftentimes be close-minded. Those who enjoy country music are usually honest, genuine and have high empathy. Stereotypically, country music-listeners are more conservative and less open to other types of music and art.

The people who prefer Beethoven over Justin Bieber, also known as classical music fans, are usually intelligent, creative, and reserved. These people know they are smart and often have high self esteem. They are reflective and complex individuals who generally lead successful lives and earn higher-paying jobs than other listeners do.

Classic rock fans are stereotypically hard-working, confident individuals who have a low-regard of what others think of them. Often times, these people can come across as self-centered. Similar to those who enjoy pop music, classic rock fans usually listen to music to regulate their mood. These people usually associate their favorite songs with intense emotional life experiences. Surprisingly, rock fans tend to be more reserved and gentle than other listeners.

As expected, rap fans are usually confident, energetic extroverts who enjoy experiencing music rather than simply listening to it through a pair of headphones. Those who listen to rap have been found to have higher self esteem than other listeners. One study which compares how personality correlates to music preference found that these listeners are more likely to speak their minds and share their thoughts as soon as they are formed.

About the Writer
Melissa Topel, Centerspread Editor

Melissa Topel is a junior at Boca High and is the Centerspread Editor this year. This is her second year on staff at the Paw Print.