Ed Sheeran makes a comeback with new album

Story by Danielle Worthalter, Copy Editor

Ed Sheeran’s third album, Divide, sent shockwaves around the world when it debuted on Mar. 3,2017.

After taking a break from social media in 2016 and ending his three year hiatus, Ed Sheeran is back with an album that is unlike any other. Divide is filled with cultural influences and tempos we have yet to hear from Sheeran.

His first two albums were hits, but this time Sheeran chose to change things up a little bit. His previous two albums, Plus and Multiply are comprised of both sad, love songs and songs that paint a picture of instances within everyday lives. Sheeran has made sure to incorporate the songs we would expect such as “Happier” and “Hearts Don’t Break Around Here.” These songs are slow and follow Sheeran’s usual acoustic guitar in the background reminiscent of tunes heard in “Kiss Me” from his first album and “Photograph,” from the second.

One major difference that Sheeran seems to have made in his songs is his perspective on love. In the albums prior to “Divide,” his love songs seem to be more immature. Within the songs “Happier” and “Perfect” there are lyrics about marriage and the future that were not expressed before. This may be reflective of Sheeran’s own maturation as well as the changes in his own love life. His maturation is also seen through his reflection of the past. Specifically in “Castle on the Hill” where Sheeran pinpoints memorable moments in his life and “Eraser” that explains how his choices have led him to where he is now.

Ed Sheeran incorporates cultural influences into half of the songs on his album. For instance, his song “Barcelona” incorporates spanish influences by making an ode to a city he adores, and “Nancy Mulligan” is similar to an irish jig through the fast tempo that seems to fluctuate along with the story displayed within the song.“Bibia Be Ye Ye” is a twist on songs from the Ghanaian culture tells a story using Sheeran’s experiences of literally losing belongings. He uses this as a metaphor for the lessons that he has learned in life. Some of the songs’ influences, however, are less obvious than others. “Galway Girl” is a combination of a hip hop song and Irish jig about the girl of Sheeran’s dreams. “New Man” is reminiscent of R&B tones making fun of a not so great love interest of an ex-girlfriend. “Eraser” is an upbeat rap song, similar to “You Need Me, I Don’t Need You” from Plus, where Sheeran is bitter about the fame he has acquired.

Although Divide may seem a little weird and different from the albums Sheeran has debuted, it makes a bold statement that Sheeran identifies with so well.

dworthalter.pawprint@gmail.com