Talking to Noah Centineo: The “Internet’s boyfriend” sits down to talk acting and the future of his career

Back to Article
Back to Article

Story by Fatimah Ali and Angelika Ziemecki, News Editor/ Staff Writer

In the recently released Netflix movie, To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You, actors Lana Condor and Noah Centineo gave yet another successful performance following their lead roles in the original film, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Although the original movie contained the sort of innocence that led to repeated viewings, the sequel focuses on the more mature aspect of Lara Jean Covey and Peter Kavinsky’s relationship as they make things “official” after pretending to be together for most of the first film. As Lara Jean and Peter navigate the ins and outs of being in a real relationship with each other, a receiver of one of Lara Jean’s famous letters from the past, John Ambrose, shows up, and things get complicated. 

Noah Centineo, the actor who plays Peter Kavinsky, sat down with The Paw Print to chat about his role in the films, as well as how his life has developed from being a local Boca kid to an actor with several movies under his belt. Returning for the role of Peter in this film gave Centineo the opportunity to really think about his character and how Peter has grown. 

“There is development but it is kind of minute in Peter’s character arc and who he is; he doesn’t really change except for his understanding of love and relationships and what’s really needed to take care of a relationship. But in the third movie, there’s more for Peter,” said Centineo.

Even though there isn’t that much development in his character in this second film, Centineo’s comfort in playing Peter shifted throughout the two movies. 

“I feel like what’s interesting is that there is a parallel [between the two movies]. The first movie is Lara Jean and Peter meeting for the first time and getting to know each other and falling in love and the second movie is their love deepening. There is a similar parallel to the actor. The first time I went to Vancuver, I am familiarizing myself with Lana Condor and the city, and when we go back there a second time, the relationship gets cultivated and deepens as well. I would say it was always really comfortable with Lana.”

The passionate actor went to Boca High for a year and a half before he left school for good to move to Los Angeles and pursue a career in Hollywood. But even before that, Centineo was serious about his career and doing what he loved.  

“When I was eight years old I went to my first audition. I worked as a model and did commercials in West Palm Beach and Miami for about five years. Then I did independent films, and when I turned around 14, after my first pilot season… I dropped out of eighth grade, and when I came back from LA, I knew this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.”

In his time at Boca High, Centineo had big hopes and dreams that his career of acting would take him to where he is now. Although his direct focus or goal was never to become famous, he always wanted a career like the actors he most admires. 

“Obviously I [thought] that I would love to have a career like Matthew Mcconaughey, Ashton Kutcher, Mark Ruffalo… I was always very confident though that if I worked hard enough I would be able to do anything that I wanted to. I had those positive feedback loops instilled in me from a young age.”

The relationships he had with teachers and other older role models helped Centineo achieve his goals. 

“Being kind to my teachers was something that actually really enriched my life because, though I was a poor student and acted out in class, I was still friends with them. It’s good to have those relationships with people that are older than you because your peers in high school have no idea what they’re talking about.”
His advice to high school students?

“Forge relationships with people that are older than you, that you trust and that your parents trust because that is way healthier than listening to your peers. It’s an echo chamber of people thinking that they know what they’re talking about when they might not.”

To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You isn’t the end for Noah and his role as Peter. He and Lana Condor will return in a third movie, To All the Boys: Always and Forever, which will conclude Lara Jean’s ambitious tale of love. With the movie already in production, there is much more in store for Noah Centineo and his already successful career.