DWTS Season 22 finale: And the winner is…

Valeria Munoz, Editor in Chief

More stories from Valeria Munoz

The Dancing with the Stars finale was filled with sparkling dresses, astounding numbers performed by the pros and the troupes, and the Chmerkovskiy brothers – no surprise there. However, for the first time in a long time I was unable to predict the winner. On Monday night, the couples had a one point difference within their scores with #TeamPowRightintheKisser, Paige VanZant and Mark Ballas, leading the scoreboard. Ginger Zee and Val Chmerkovskiy surprised everyone by performing despite Zee’s injury and potential for back spasms. Her pain was not noticed by the audience because she remained graceful throughout her dance. As Mark Ballas delivered yet another unpredictable number with his creative choreography his partner, Paige VanZant, performed it beautifully. She demonstrated that there is a balance in elegance and strength. The freestyles were all amazing but perhaps the one that carried the most meaningful message was Nyle DiMarco and Peta Mutragoyd’s contemporary routine to the Sound of Silence choreographed by Talia Favia.

DiMarco revealed how much the song meant to him a post on the show’s Instagram account. He thanked the band Disturbed for their cover of Sound of Silence and used his routine to portray his journey for representing the deaf community. The show featured performances by Fleur East, Fifth Harmony, Pitbull, and Dan and Shay. Although Maks and Val Chmervoskiy showed a teaser for their summer tour named On Our Way, Pitbull’s teaser left us wondering the most. Apparently, Pitbull was offered a judges position, but he made no promises when asked by hostess Erin Andrews about the matter.

Ginger Zee surprised the audience by thanking them in the middle of her routine which may have influenced her lower score because the judges did not understand her message. They thought Zee had forgotten the routine. When in fact,  her partner had planned the pause as “dancer’s choice.” Thus, giving her the option to reflect on her journey and acknowledge her fans. The final decision was filled with suspense ending up with Zee in third and VanZant in second which could only mean one thing: Nyle DiMarco took home the mirror ball! Mutragoyd and DiMarco earned the trophy through their amazing partnership as well as their talent. DiMarco proved the claim he made in his first interview of the season that “deaf people can dance AND WIN.”  Male model, math teacher, and now dancer- is there anything DiMarco can’t do? 

vmunoz.pawprint@gmail.com